In an attempt to curb the killing of thousands of wild bird and animal species that fall victim to rodenticides every year, scientists and wildlife advocates are trying to raise awareness of the dangers of using second-generation anticoagulant rodenticides
for pest control. Popular rat poisons
such as Hot Shot, Generation and d-Con are used extensively by farmers and exterminators to kill rats and mice, but often end up in our food, poison our water and sicken our children. Rat poison is, after all indications, not a suitable pest control method anymore.
And recent reports offer plenty of reasons why we should stop using it completely. First of all, the second generation of pesticides has been developed in response to the tolerance rats appeared to have developed to warfarin, the poison contained in the first generation of rodenticides. Unlike the previous versions, second- generation poisons do not kill the rat as fast as the first type, and in many cases rodents “continue to eat long after they have ingested a lethal dose.